Monday, May 7, 2012

Equality For The State Of Maine!


          I wanted to talk to you a little today about an organization called EqualityMaine. They were founded as the Maine Lesbian/Gay Alliance in 1984 following the murder of a homosexual man Charlie Howard in the town of Bangor Maine. Since then they have become one of many organizations across the country (and perhaps the world) that have began to use their grass roots level activism to champion the right for same sex marriage in the state of Maine. I am a very proud online volunteer for the organization. And I would like to take a little time to discuss some of my feelings on the issue of same sex marriage,in Maine in particular.

          First a personal history. In my adolescence there was this fairly obscure news story that became the subject of gossip locally. It involved a man in the rural part of the state seeking a marriage licence  between himself and his dog. I don't recall if he received the licence or not. But the issue was fully explored. When the issue of same sex marriage first arose years after this happened, I found it odd that so many religious organizations seemed far more resistant to that concept than they had been to that engagement between the man and his dog. Even today it's still very difficult for me to see what real life threat there is if two adult human beings wish to be wed.

          When I first became involved with EqualityMaine in 2009,I did some phone banking for them. After what little I did,it was surprising to learn how uninformed many were to what same sex marriage represented. So at the bottom of this posting I am placing a link to EqualityMaine for all to see. If your not from Maine,seek out similar organizations in your local area. I realize that with all that psychic numbing the modern society asks of us it's often hard to want to take on any important cause. Even just in a small way. But there is a meaningful slogan I can provide: pessimism is a cop out. It's important a person learns why our differences are important to our survival. So get up,get into it and get involved!

http://equalitymaine.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment